How to Run a Successful Ecommerce Business

Right now E-commerce is the best way to make money online. However, search engine optimization is important to running a successful e-commerce business.

1. The first thing that is important when improving SEO is to allocate about 30% of your budget towards search engine optimization. This budget will be spent on ongoing SEO and onsite optimization and keyword research. About 70% of your budget will be spent for ongoing SEO and the remaining 30% on keyword research and onsite optimization.

2. You will need to choose an e-commerce platform. Using an open source has the advantages of portability, lesser development costs, and free plug-ins and add-ons. Two of the best options for open source e-commerce platforms are OSCommerce and Zen Cart.

Another way to go is with a custom platform. These have the advantage of being fully customizable and are flexible to allow you to offer something different from your competitors. The primary problem with this option is it is expensive to develop.

3. At this point, you should have an SEO service provider. To ensure they are knowledgeable and will be able to help you this company needs to have experience in SEO. When choosing a service provider looking for a company that is willing to work with the e-commerce platform you chose in the previous step.

4. You need to know who your competitors are. Knowing who your competitors are will help you understand how to stand out apart from them. To identify them you should separate the global competitors from the local ones and the short-term competitors from the long term.

Your ecommerce seo provider will be able to help you with this step. This is an important step as it will help you better utilize your SEO funds to ensure you are getting the best SEO performance to help your business.

5. You can improve SEO by using long tail keywords if you are on a limited budget. It is far easier to get to the top of search engines by using long tail keywords. For instance, a keyword such as computers has 260 million results on Google but a keyword such as fast computer virus repair only has 19 million results on Google. This makes it easier to rise to the top of search engines.